Friday, January 21, 2011

Big Boy Bed


Yesterday we went to an unknown's lady's home and bought Remi this awesome train bed. We have been searching for weeks on craiglist for a Cars, Thomas or anything in between, but was unwilling to pay the crazy price for these beds.

We had prepared Remi for this stage by having Santa bring him a Thomas pillowcase for his soon-to-be big boy bed and talked frequently about how big he has gotten and how much he has outgrown his crib. Mostly due to the overwhelming number of stuffed animals he keeps in there, but that's here nor there.

We haul this bed home in pieces and since Joe has the day off, his job is to put it together. Thinking I know my son better than anyone, I figure this bed is going to sit in his room for a week (minimum) to allow him to adjust to the sight of it, but since he is now such a big boy. He hops in then hops out, collects all his animals and blankets and climbs back in. "All aboard." and "This is so cool." are two phrases he keeps saying over and over again. I am astounded that he is even touching the thing.

So after book last night, he runs to his bed and never looks back.
I can't believe it. Really, my son who has to look at a pair of shoes for two weeks before he will even try them on has jumped in this new bed with abandonment.

Then roughly one'ish (to be honest I have no idea what time it was) I am awoken with this blood curdling scream from Remington's room. I barely open the door and he is climbing up my legs.
He spends the rest the night in our room. Something that never happens. I really do mean never. Throughout the night we keep asking if he is ready to go back to his bed and he tells us,
No way Joseway".

Morning comes and he tells me about his terrible dream. Then wants me to go into his "spooky" room to show me exactly what happened.

It goes a little like this:

*A ghost comes into my room and peaks at me in my big boy bed and yells at me to get out of there. He was really scary, then he shakes my bed until I get out.*

Wow, that was some dream. No wonder he was spooked.

Tonight after reading our bedtime book, he starts to whimper that he wants his baby bed back. So we go and transfer all babies and four blankets back over into the baby bed.
He curls up and says. "Now the ghost won't be mad at me."

Okay, so I'm a little spooked myself now. Do you think he had a bad dream or really has ghosts in his room? This isn't the first time that he has talked about ghosts in his room, but we always chalk it up to imagination. Then I think about how they say little kids are more prone to see things over adults, because their minds haven't shut off the possibilities.
And whenever we play house, cars, trains, etc. the theme is always ghosts.

So is this something that needs to be addressed or is it simply a little guy too scared to sleep uncaged and out in the open?
I'm not going to push him. If this is just his fear, hopefully he will work through it in time. If it's the other possibility of paranormal, then I'm kicking some major ghost tail. How dare that thing scare my little buddy. He obviously doesn't know that Hell is in a form of a Mother that is pissed off.

No comments:

Post a Comment