Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Affirmation



I haven't written about Bella in sometime now. Mainly because she has been so dang frustrating and hard to deal with. What four year old isn't? But this four (now five)year old developed this crazy habit of watching Wonder Pets and Backyardigans.

Two shows on the channel NickJr...It's like Preschool on TV...so they say.

Anyway, this wasn't a wanna watch a few a night. This was, wanna watch hours upon hours,then throw yourself on the floor in fits when they ended or bedtime happened. In my pre-Mommy days, I swore that my future children would be monitored in their allowance of television time. TV will rot your brains. Isn't that what we were always told?
The joy she receives from watching these shows is unreal. She stands about two inches from the TV and dances, sings and talks along with them the entire time. At this point, little else was giving her satisfaction with her knowledge of her disabilities becoming more apparent.

So we have compromised. As in, these two shows are my ultimate bribing tool. I know, terrible, but it works.

Me-Time for Dinner

Bella-Nooooo WonderPets and Backyaya's

Me-One more Wonder Pets and Backyardigans after you eat all your dinner

Bella O.K.A.Y.!!! (she sounds out each word so cute and sassy)

See, magic.


Recently Bella's speech has made leaps and bounds with short sentences and correct pronunciation of words. I sort of believe it has everything to do with watching her shows. She is able to concentrate so intently on them and soak everything in, more so then if you or I was talking directly to her.

Tonight when I tucked her into bed and kissed her freshly bathed curls, I whispered. "Love you Bells."
And she looked at me in the dim light and said. "You too Mommy."

As I closed her door, I stood in the hallway for a minute, while tears sprang to my eyes and thanked Wonder Pets and Backyardigans.
That little sentence was perfect. She is content and that makes me happy in where we are at. TV overload and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment